Report anti-social behaviour (ASB)

ASB Team advert

Anti-social behaviour (ASB) is any behaviour that causes, or is likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress to other people living in your neighbourhood.

It can mean different things to different people and can range from playing your music too loud, threatening or swearing at neighbours to criminal damage, assault, or racist or homophobic abuse. Basically ASB can include anything which you feel affects your quality of life.

What is ASB?

ASB can include anything which you feel affects your quality of life. It can mean different things to different people and can range from playing your music too loud, threatening or swearing at neighbours to criminal damage, assault, or racist or homophobic abuse. 

This can include:

  • Noise nuisance (for example: loud music).
  • Intimidation and harassment.
  • Local environmental quality issues (for example: vandalism, graffiti, dumping rubbish and nuisance vehicles).
  • Aggressive and threatening language and behaviour and/or being offensively drunk.
  • Violence against people and property (including sexual abuse, damage to council property and property belonging to other residents).
  • Hate behaviour that targets members of identified groups because of their perceived differences (for example, race, colour, nationality, culture, sexual orientation, gender, age, marital status, creed or religious belief, mental health or physical disability).
  • Using housing accommodation to use and/or sell drugs or for other unlawful purposes (for example, prostitution or handling stolen goods.

My responsibilities

Report ASB

Report ASB online all day, every day


You can also report anti-social behaviour on 020 8937 2400 (9am to 5pm) or email


If you live in South Kilburn you can visit the South Kilburn Housing Office.

Report noise

If you have a noise issue please contact the Environment Health Team.

What action will Brent Council take?

We can’t take action against someone without evidence. We will give you a special ‘incident diary’ to record ASB you see or hear. We may need other evidence, like photographs, video or tape recordings. We might have to speak to other people who have witnessed the problem. It could be difficult to take the case any further without these other witnesses.


If the evidence confirms the ASB we will take action. In very serious cases – where the perpetrator has put you or another person in danger – we’ll go straight to legal action. But in most situations we will take a more step-by- step approach to try to get them to change.

Although legal action is the last step in the process, Brent Council will not hesitate to take action against the few who continually cause nuisance to our residents.

Civil injunction

Brent Council can apply for a civil injunction.


These can be obtained very quickly and can order the person causing ASB to stop doing something, for example, playing loud music, vandalism and it can order them to carry out an action such as attend counselling sessions or clearing their garden of rubbish.


In serious cases of nuisance and harassment, where there is the threat of violence, the court can attach a power of arrest to the injunction. This can be obtained within 24 hours. If the person causing ASB continues, the police have the power to arrest them immediately.

Possession orders

Possession orders take longer than obtaining an injunction and will normally involve evidence that has been gathered over a period of time being presented to the court. To obtain a possession order we need strong evidence that will stand up to close examination in court.


If the judge is satisfied that the tenant has breached the terms of their tenancy, or specific requirements contained in the Housing Act, they can grant a possession order which means that the tenant can be evicted by county court bailiffs.

Other actions Brent Council can take

Working with Brent Council, the Police and other agencies - Brent Council can access other legal interventions such as:


  • Criminal Behaviour Orders – Court Order following a conviction for any criminal offence
  • Dispersal powers – Power to direct a person to leave a specific location for up to 48 hours
  • Community Protection Notices – Notice to stop individuals, businesses or organisations cause ASB
  • Public Spaces Protection Orders – Order to protect a public space from ASB
  • Closure Powers – Power to close premises for up to 48 hours (out of court) and six months (from the court).


Warning logo Call 999 if a crime is happening now or if someone is in immediate danger.

Non-emergency incidents and issues

Call the police on 101 for help with non-emergency issues or to contact your local police station. This line is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

If you are deaf, hard of hearing or have a speech impairment, a text phone is available on 18001 101.

Report a minor or non-urgent crime online

To report crime anonymously

Visit Crimestoppers website or phone 0800 555 111. They will not ask for your name and address and cannot trace your call.

Your safer neighbourhoods team

To talk to your local police about ongoing crime and anti-social behaviour issues, you can contact your police safer neighbourhoods team.